Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Summer reading & other fun challenges

Summer is an opportune time to model for my kids that reading is not only to be done during the school year. As summer approaches I encourage them to read independently.  We will set aside 20 minutes at some point each day to silently read, of course I will model this for them. (Ulterior motive here?  How else will I fit in my trashy summer reads?)


Along with sharpening reading skills, we will also pick a new skill to learn.  The girls want to learn to sew. I want to learn how to master yeast breads.
Here's our plan:
Mya:
LOVES the Fudge series by Judy Blume.  This is above her level so I will read this aloud to her.  We will discuss open ended questions and of course, comprehension. Also, this is a great opportunity to point out what is NOT appropriate behavior in public ;)

Book 2 in the Fudge series




*Spoiler alert:  Be sure to preread & edit the chapter "Santa Who?" in Superfudge.  The Hatchers do not believe in Santa and blatantly point that out.


Mya will also learn the basic reading skills in the Bob Books.  The Montessori lover in me cannot recommend these books highly enough.  Check them out if you have a budding reader.





Mya's fine motor skills are still developing.  She will use this plastic grid, over sized buttons, yarn, and yarn needle to sew buttons.  This also will help sharpen skills for learning to write. Win-Win.





Marlee:
Marlee has shown interest in series books as well.  We are going to try the Judy Moody series.  I hope this Judy chick does not have a bad attitude like that Junie B. Jones. Sheesh!




Marlee is also going to try a hand at embroidery and basic sewing machine skills. I found this book at a used book store.  It looks fun and easy for a 7 year old.





Me:
Of course I will be perusing the shelves of the local library for trashy novels, but when I choose to feed my mind with useful info, I will read the following books:





I found about Amanda's books from my friend Erin who also grew up in Maine.  Amanda Soule also has a blog called Soule Mama  This nourishes the wanna be homesteader in me.


I found this little number at my parents' house.  My mom gave it to me when I transformed into a domestic diva goddess. Dave is 100% Slovak so I thought I'd try to master some (or at least one) of the beautiful yeast bread recipes and show the girls their roots in this world.



And lastly, our old rainy day stand by:



The recipes in these books never get old.  The directions are both in picture and text which makes it fun for preschool and elementary school kids. The recipes are also extremely healthy. Mollie Katzen (books on the left) is also the author of the Moosewood cookbook series.


I guess I have high hopes for the summer.  I suppose I can revisit these ideas at summer's end to see what we have accomplished.
What plans do you have for the summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment