Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Extreme makeover: Playroom edition

I remember the satisfaction I had when I first set up the girls' playroom.  Except for the dress-up area, it looked like a Montessori classroom:  works area, dramatic play, art area, sensory table, etc....  It was such a peaceful room to play. Right off the kitchen, the girls could even be left while I was preparing dinner.

Well, times have changed since then.  We went through many phases (Disney Princess being my least favorite) and I felt that our once neatly organized room fell all out of sorts. So I packed up all the educational, wooden, non-battery toys that were the first to lose their interest and consigned them, probably to some other naive mom thinking that if they too buy these toys, the Disney Princesses will not invade their playroom ;)

It took a little bit of thinking on how to reorganize the room since we hardly have any of the bigger toddler toys that divide it up into parts. I also noticed that the girls have been neglecting the clutter of the playroom in favor of writing and drawing at the kitchen table.

I have decided to turn the playroom into an office/classroom since they play office and school most of the time. My daily practice has been to recycle and up cycle many of our objects. This came easy since I needed to just use old mugs, cans, baskets and other things along that line to organize all of their office supplies.  I went into the attic and pulled out some calendars and maps from my old teaching days. We also kept the train table and turned in into a writing area or if we needed to have an impromptu board meeting at the office.



Marlee's office:  She uses the top shelf for her desk

Mya's office:  She uses our old table from the play kitchen, we also have some other toys mixed in with our office supplies.

Thankfully, I have saved everything from my teaching days!


Crusive wall, and we just couldn't let the dress up corner go yet.

The old train table is great for crafts, writing, or dramatic play in the office.

4 comments:

  1. I love that you kept all of your old teaching stuff; what a great use for all of those nice materials! Have you thought of maybe adding a small bulletin board for the girls to decorate each season and add their writings to?

    (Oh, and I'm another one of those naive moms hoping to bypass anything commercialized. Sigh...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh, Thanks for the bulletin board idea! That would be a great way to showcase budding writers. Maybe I can even decorate it with seasonal fabric as a backgrounD :)

      ps...Those Disney characters creep into playrooms all over America, just like ants!!

      Delete
  2. what a great space to use your imagination!! good job, mama :) we have a lot of princess going on at our house too. don't think that's going away any time soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you are right Alicia, but they did dance like princesses last Saturday :)

      Delete