Sunday, January 18, 2015

Canvas, crayons, and paint, oh my!


I found a stash of blank canvases in my hoard, um, I mean craft supply area. We decided to experiment with some new techniques during our Crafternoon last weekend. 

One fun project we always wanted to try was the melted crayons on canvas. It was easier and quicker than I thought.
I bought several boxes of 24 count crayons at Dollar Tree and the girls picked out their favorite colors. We hot glued about 24 them on to a 12x12 canvas. 



I'll stop here and mention what we learned by trial & error:
• Just when you think you have enough hot glue under your crayons--Use more glue! They fell off quickly.
•Group crayons by like colors when arranging on canvas, the bottom of canvas will be a muddy color if all the different colors run together!

After we got everything situated on the canvas, the girls chose and cut shapes from the Silhouette Machine into contact paper. (Our one friend chose the NYC skyline. How cool is that?)



We then stuck our pictures on the canvas and the melting magic began with our hair dryers.



The contact paper did not stick to the canvas very well. Things got a little tricky, but we worked through it. Next time we will use freezer paper as our stencil and iron it on the canvas and peel off when finished. 

We were pleased with our finished product.



Next we tried some old fashioned stenceling, again, cut from the silhouette machine. Still, I would prefer freezer paper next time as the contact paper would not consistently adhere to the canvas. 

However, out results fared pretty well.




Although not one of our smoothest projects, we learned a lot and had a fun afternoon working together. I love Crafternoons!













No comments:

Post a Comment