Saturday, October 20, 2012

A versatile apron

Since returning to the classroom, even more of my nerdiness has come out.




A teacher I work with had the brilliant idea of  wearing this type of apron to hold some supplies as she worked around her room.  It was such a simple, yet practical idea.  I had to copycat her and whip one up myself.


I thought I'd share this project since I am finding versatile uses for mine, not just in the classroom.  Some of my other uses included:  wearing while crafting (especially running from Silhouette machine to sewing machine), using it as a money holder for working craft fairs, even for small jobs like hanging pictures or decorations....YES!  I am a dork!  Also my kids want one too ;)

Here's what I did:

Cut 2 pieces of fabric 20"W x 18"H.  Pin them with right sides together.














Stitch around the perimeter, leaving 1/2 inch seam allowance.  Leave a 3 inch opening so you can turn the fabric out with right sides facing out.  Top stitch the whole rectangle, making sure to close the 3 inch opening you created.
Fold fabric up about 7 inches from the bottom as shown below:



Stitch the outer edges of your new, shortened rectangle, so you form a pouch. Then decide how many pockets you want and sew straight lines starting where the folded fabric begins, all the way down to the bottom of the rectangle. For this apron, I chose 3 pockets.


I then pinned quilt binding to the top edge to use as my apron strings.  A long ribbon or another piece of fabric will do.  I just liked the finished look of  of the quilt binding and I had some on hand.

 

Then run a seam all the way down the quilt binding (or ribbon or fabric or whatever you decide to use) Make sure you are closing the quilt binding opening and getting the apron in between!


And here's my finished look below:


 
I think I will even make a few as gifts this year.  Oh...I think when I make them for my kids, the dimensions will be 13"W x 10"H


2 comments: