Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Stayin' in

Our school district had the day off for Election Day.  The gals and I had big plans to return to the Biltmore House on our day off from school/work....I've been feeling the pressure to go and get my money's worth since I got a little crazy and bought that yearly pass.

Things changed quickly when we woke up to 34 degrees and sleet was lightly falling.  We quickly declared the day a double doozy of "no drive day" and "pajama day".



I'm noticing these days are becoming fewer and far between.  The chilly fall days we knew of the past are replaced with 65 degree + days in the past few years. Of course we take advantage of every warm and sunny day in the fall, but sometimes we just enjoy a gloomy day indoors, one where we do not feel obligated to play outside just because the sun is shining.

As my favorite neighbor Rachel and I were having our fence post chat the other day, I expressed my frustration about hearing so many people remark how this mild weather should be the norm every day. Umm, yeah, if we were in Miami.  But since we live in the mountains, I think we need our fair share of chilly days leading to a deep freeze or two over the winter months. 

We did have a very mild winter last year.  I was disappointed that I only pulled out the North Face jacket a handful of times. I was even more disappointed to have not done as many indoor winter activities as I planned.  Who wants to have a movie marathon, go bowling, or play board games when it is 70 degrees every weekend in January?

I reflect on the year past and I'm quite disturbed by the daffodils blooming in January and February only to be dead weeds by Easter.  I was pulling ticks off my kids in the early days of March.  My indoor cats got infested with fleas! Bacterial pneumonia is being passed around our county like a stomach bug (hello..red flag, CDC??) I'm just hoping this year was a fluke. But this may explain why I (and many others) feel so off balance and cannot find a rhythm aligned with the seasons.

Nonetheless, we had a great day today.  Here's to hoping for many more chilly, temperature appropriate, slacker days:


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment