Friday, April 13, 2012

Miss Matches


Although the girls are only 22 months apart, they like to dress and act like twins.  On most days they will choose their outfits together, not always matching, but usually both will wear dresses or pants, etc. They have long deliberating discussions about the weather and what clothing will agree with it or what colors suit their moods--yes, I actually overheard that one. There are some days that they feel they must absolutely match.  This has been a challenge for me since I buy most of their clothes on consignment. It is a great find when I come across a duplicate of Marlee's vintage Mini Boden skirt in Mya's size.  Oh, I love children's consignment shops, but it is getting more difficult to find cute clothes in sizes 7 and up. Not to mention my time to spend in these shops has become more limited.

I recently saw pillowcase dresses in a Hannah Andersson catalogue.  I simply had to buy 2 matching dresses!  However the total cost of $56 + shipping kinda made me realize that I am out of hand with this, and maybe while my girls like to dress similiar, is it because they are slightly encouraged? Anyway, they are 5 and 7, how much longer can this last? 

I decided to challenge myself to make 2 dresses for the cost of $20 total.  I googled a few patterns, the one I liked best was from LGB Studio, a great blog with other fun tutorials.  I bought 1 1/2 yards of fabric (matching dresses of course) for $8.99/yard and some double biased tape for $3.  I had the elastic in with my supplies already.

The dresses were a huge hit with the girls and a success with my budget.  Now I hope they can keep their style this cute for just a little bit longer.



4 comments:

  1. Love these! I adore that fabric too! Well done, mama :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job with those! Your girls look adorable in their dresses. Glad you found the tutorial helpful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am also trying a few of your other tutorials. I will keep you posted :)

      Delete