Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Everything deserves a second chance, even a toothbrush

I suppose if I will be blogging about some of our learning experiences, I guess there will be a handful of household drama involved.

For instance, Mya was getting ready for school when she noticed that she was in need of a new toothbrush.  I helped her get one out of the closet and left her to finish.  Moments later, she came running downstairs sobbing. Her crisis was as follows:
"Mama, I threw my old toothbrush in the trash can. *sob, sob*  When I looked down at my lonely toothbrush in the trash, I felt *sob* so sorry for it. I picked it up and brushed my teeth with it even though it was in the trash.  I feel bad that I brushed my teeth with something from the trash, but *sob, sob* I couldn't stand to see it so lonely in the traaasssshhhh *sob, sob, sob, sob*  (Note to self: My 5 year old may need some closer supervision when brushing her teeth.)

Now personification of any and all household objects is a normal part of life for this child. I am remembering that I used to do that as a child as well. But right now, I am remembering that it is 8:15 and I have a dilemma of trying to help her solve this problem, be on time for school, and not burst out laughing.

After a few minutes of calming down and some reassurance that this innocent little toothbrush is not destined for the dark, lonely landfill, we began to brainstorm ideas.  Her first (and most clever) idea was to give it to Marlee so she can use it.  I am sure THAT will not cause any drama during night time brushing.  We finally settled on using it for a scrub brush for her bath toys during bath time. 

After our rescue of the toothbrush

So I have decided to keep a small box for our "think about it" items.  We discard our old objects into this box and ponder any additional use we may have for them.  Maybe every few weeks we can sort through and decided what really needs to be tossed or rescued.  Hopefully, this will also make us think twice before we decide what will go into the landfill.

Oh, and we were only 5 minutes late for school :)


1 comment: