Wednesday, January 22, 2014

All in a Morning's Work (Icicle Suncatchers)


Well, we were up early thinking there would be school...but wait!! We live in WNC, so of course it's cancelled. After all, we did get a dusting of snow yesterday.




We are amidst one of the coldest spells our area has had in several years. Everyone seems to have their panties in a knot and its hard to carry on business as usual when many places and activities are cancelled.

At least I got to try out the icicle suncatchers that I've wanted make in previous years but couldn't due to mild temperatures.

We filled up our funky ice cube trays (usually reserved for Mommy's Happy Hour) and added a drop of food coloring. 





After freezing them, we filled up pie plates and poured water into them.



We had to put something in the water to make a hole to hang the finished product. We chose a shot glass because we thought it was a great size and there sure is a plethora of them in the house. Then we set them outside overnight to freeze.



We threaded them with yarn and hung them next to the bird feeders. Next time I will put the shot glass more towards the center. As you can see in the photo below, the edge cracked because it was too close to the edge.



One other thing I did to make this winter morning even more delightful was try this nifty idea I found on Pinterest.



I filled a glass container with coffee beans and lit a votive. The house is warm and cozy, and now reminds me of years passed when I had my all time favorite job as a barista, yay!

Enjoy the lame snow day!









No comments:

Post a Comment