Tuesday, July 17, 2012

What I learned about my kids while traveling


They say the way to really get to know someone is to travel with them. What else can I possibly learn about my kids?  I mean, hello...I am raising them!  I guess it is being in a different environment and away from the usual routine (yes, it nearly pushed me over the edge, but I did not have a daily routine for 12 days) that made me see my kids in a different light.

*Note...this post may be a little braggy, but hey, I put in time and effort with these gals, I can brag once in a while, can't I? 

1.  They can be entertained anywhere with little resources.
From our basic activities in the van (see previous post) to our hotel room.  The gals found ways to entertain themselves with minimal arguing.  They found *gasp* traditional phones (not smart phones) unplugged them and used the hotel notepads and pens and played "Washington DC" for a long time. They love hotel pools, so they taught themselves to do handstands and flips.  Wherever we went, they used the environment around them to and their imagination to play.


2.  They love public transportation.
The Metro was a huge hit.  Marlee can look at a map and tell you which color line goes where like an expert.  I see these kids flocking from the mountains one day and heading to the big cities sans car.


3.  They are SO green!!
Wow!  I am impressed with myself as much a I am with them!  Going out of their way to throw a container in a blue can instead of regular trash in the streets of DC. Choosing "real" plates and cutlery at the hotel breakfast instead of the disposable ones they offered. Reusing hotel towels, turning off lights when leaving the room, all without my suggestion.  Bragging how good it is not to use our car the whole time we were in the city.  My favorite: Commenting on the wasted food at the hotel breakfast.  They asked me why people would take so much food they would not eat from the buffet and leave it on their table untouched...didn't they realize they were wasting good food? My answer:  I don't know.

4.  They love their extended family.
They were equally excited to visit family in PA as they were to go somewhere new and interesting. They had great visits and sleepovers with their aunts, Karen & Nancie, a great visit with their Aunt 'Pin", and were so excited to play with their cousins: Christine, Nick, Lexi, and Ryan.  Of course my favorite, they have great relationships with all three grandparents, which is something I never had with mine.  They love staying that extra week with Grammy and PopPop, doing crazy things. Spending time with Grandma Margaret is always a treat.  I love how they always speak of all three grandparents even when they are away from them.





**Shame on me!  I did not take one picture of anyone in PA this time around!!  These are pictures from times past.

This turned out to be our best vacation yet.  I think (and hope) things will only get better as we travel in the future.  Next on the travel list:  Long weekend in Hilton Head, SC in September, long weekend in Disney in January, and hopefully, a vacation in SanFran next June.








3 comments:

  1. Awesome post, Laurie! I love the realization that even though we are living with and raising our kids, there is still so much to learn about them if we allow ourselves the opportunity. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoop, I mean Lori. Not Laurie. Sorry. ;)

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I think this gives us a small glimpse of what kinds of adults they will become. I'm hoping that's a long, long way off though ;)

      Delete